Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pink Power

I'm sure you've all see the new breast cancer screening guidelines put out by the US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF). I'm still picking my jaw up off of the ground. I cannot BELIEVE that after all of the fighting that organizations such as, Susan G Komen and National Breast Cancer Organization, have done to spread awareness and get women (and men) the testing we need.... that THIS is now being "suggested" from our government. Hell - even the NFL football players were wearing pink to spread awareness!

I am not a political person... you all know that. But this really has me riled up! I am passionate about spreading breast cancer awareness, fighting for a cure and getting women the mammograms that save their lives.


I read on abcnews.com that a yearly mammogram costs $125. I realize that when you multiply that by the number of women in their 40's, this could save a lot of money. BUT what kind of message is this sending? That women in their 40's, who are most likely mothers of young children, are not worth the $125?? Is this the start of rationing medical care in the US? I am not liking it. I guess it's all about the money now!

The American Cancer Society has not changed their guidelines. They are still suggesting we start yearly mammograms at age 40. Thank God!

Cancer.org gives these stats...
Age 30-39 - chances of breast cancer are 1 in 233.
Age 40-49 - chances of breast cancer are 1 in 69.
Age 50-59 - chances of breast cancer are 1 in 38.
Age 60-69 - chances of breast cancer are 1 in 27.

I guess for some reason the US Preventive Services Task Force believes that 1 in 69 odds are not that bad. Hmmm. I disagree. And I am quite angered by this whole scenario. The Susan G Komen website has an article called "Making sense of the new guidelines". They said we should react "calmly". I guess we have to have faith that the right people, organizations and doctors will fight for us to continue to get the screening and tests we need.

I know there are a lot of false positives given by mammograms on women in their 40's. But personally, I would much rather have the false positive, a few more tests, and a week of stress before finding out it was nothing -- than having breast cancer go undetected until it is in the later stages and chances of survival were slim. Did you know that these tumors can DOUBLE in size every 6 months!?!? (Sigh...) I'm getting worked up as I'm writing this! ;)

When I worked for the bridal magazine, I volunteered with the Brides Against Breast Cancer event. It's a bridal gown sale. All of the gowns are donated by manufacturers, stores and former brides. (Our good friend Amy B actually donated her dress when I was working the event!!! -- YOU ROCK AMY!) All of the proceeds from this event go towards granting a wish for a terminally ill breast cancer patient. The reason I bring this up, is that the majority of the wishes being granted were going to women in their 30's and 40's. Moms.... just like me and you!

If it comes right down to it, I will pay for my $125 test each year!! I hope you will too! Keep spreading awareness and fighting for a cure!! PINK, PINK, PINK!!!!

Sorry to get all crazy on you guys.... I don't want you to think I'm starting to follow in my husband's footsteps with all his political tangents. :) My next post will be about happy, cheery Mommy things!! :)

(Note: My husband just told me that the government has "retracted" their guidelines. Apparently it caused some bad press... you think?!?! Sorry - I missed that piece of news. I am going to keep this post up though b/c I feel very passionately about this and I am afraid they will do this again in the future. )

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

dream weaver stats
Vistaprint.com