Yesterday we had to stop at the grocery store to pick up Jenna's prescription. (Yes - she has a double ear infection - AGAIN!) I had a few groceries to pick up, so we started walking through the aisles. We went past the baby section and Bryce got excited and said "MOOOOMMM, we should buy some baby food for our new baby!!!" (No - I am NOT pregnant!!) I said, "What do you mean Bryce? We don't have a new baby." He said, "Well, we will someday, right??" I said, "Yes, we will some day, but it's going to be a LONG time." Bryce asked, "How long Mommy?" I said, "I don't know for sure. Maybe 1 or 2 years. The baby isn't even in my tummy yet." (Big mistake. Why did I even bring that up!??!!) Bryce said, "HE'S NOT???????!!!!!!!!!! (complete astonished!!) Well.......... where is the baby???" Hmmmmmm. That's a good question. WHERE IS the baby? I didn't say anything for a couple moments, so Bryce said "Is the baby in heaven??" Hmmmmmm, my mind was racing 100 mph trying to decide how I was going to answer this question. I am NOT prepared for this conversation, especially as I am walking through the crowded aisles of the grocery store!!! I thought about saying "Maybe you should ask Daddy!!" haha! Instead, I decided to try to escape the situation, looked down at my grocery list and said, "Hey, we forgot to get the milk!!" Bryce's mind quickly went from where babies are stored before entering Mommy's tummy -- to -- let's go back to pick up milk!! I feel bad for totally avoiding his question. But I panicked and did not want to try to have that conversation while pushing a cart with Jenna screaming b/c she wants to get cookies and dozens of random people walking by!!! I guess I need to Google "How to answer kids questions about babies" soon and start getting prepared for the next time I'm faced with this question!!!!! :)
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Where is the baby??
Yesterday we had to stop at the grocery store to pick up Jenna's prescription. (Yes - she has a double ear infection - AGAIN!) I had a few groceries to pick up, so we started walking through the aisles. We went past the baby section and Bryce got excited and said "MOOOOMMM, we should buy some baby food for our new baby!!!" (No - I am NOT pregnant!!) I said, "What do you mean Bryce? We don't have a new baby." He said, "Well, we will someday, right??" I said, "Yes, we will some day, but it's going to be a LONG time." Bryce asked, "How long Mommy?" I said, "I don't know for sure. Maybe 1 or 2 years. The baby isn't even in my tummy yet." (Big mistake. Why did I even bring that up!??!!) Bryce said, "HE'S NOT???????!!!!!!!!!! (complete astonished!!) Well.......... where is the baby???" Hmmmmmm. That's a good question. WHERE IS the baby? I didn't say anything for a couple moments, so Bryce said "Is the baby in heaven??" Hmmmmmm, my mind was racing 100 mph trying to decide how I was going to answer this question. I am NOT prepared for this conversation, especially as I am walking through the crowded aisles of the grocery store!!! I thought about saying "Maybe you should ask Daddy!!" haha! Instead, I decided to try to escape the situation, looked down at my grocery list and said, "Hey, we forgot to get the milk!!" Bryce's mind quickly went from where babies are stored before entering Mommy's tummy -- to -- let's go back to pick up milk!! I feel bad for totally avoiding his question. But I panicked and did not want to try to have that conversation while pushing a cart with Jenna screaming b/c she wants to get cookies and dozens of random people walking by!!! I guess I need to Google "How to answer kids questions about babies" soon and start getting prepared for the next time I'm faced with this question!!!!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Teagan asks all the time, especially when she looks at pictures from before she was born. We still haven't found a good answer - might have to go with the old "just a twinkle in our eye"!
ReplyDelete