It took a little coercing to get her out of her warm fuzzy jammies and into her hospital gown. But after a few upside down tricks, we managed! We built tents in the crib to keep her occupied prior to surgery. She was soooooo good and such a trooper with all of the pre-surgery things! Never once did she ask for breakfast or a drink! I couldn't even believe it!
No matter how much you prepare yourself, having them roll your baby away to the operating room is gut-wrenching! We all managed though, and before we knew it, the doctor was out talking to Cory and I about the surgery. Things went well. She did great. He put the new tubes in and cleaned out her ears. There was a slight issue with her adenoids though. Turns out Jenna has a creased or split uvula (that is the little thing that hangs down at the back of your throat). It must not be SUPER bad b/c no doctor has ever noticed or said anything to us about this before. But then again.... getting a look into Jenna's throat has always been a bit tricky - she's a stubborn one!! :)Anyways - b/c of the way her uvula is, the doctor could not completely remove her adenoids. I haven't had a whole lot of time (or energy) to Google it yet, but from what I understand if he would remove the full adenoids, there is a chance that her uvula would not close off her nasal passage as it should when she swallows and talks. And I guess this could cause speech problems and make your voice very nasally. So, he only took the top 2/3 of each adenoid and left the bottom of the adenoid there for her uvula to have something to "cling" to when swallowing and talking.
I did not get the impression that any of this was serious. But the doctor did indicate that b/c of her split uvula, she is more susceptible to getting ear infections. He said he doesn't feel like her situation will cause speech problems or any long term issues. But the short term problem is that we are probably going to have to deal with the ear infections for a few more years. He said this is probably not the last time we'd be doing tubes and may even have to do a more permanent type of tube in the future. Well.... at least we know what to expect! :)
This next picture is of Jenna right after surgery. She was SUCH A TROOPER! She never once cried! Not once! The nurses said she was talking with them and was great from the moment she woke up! What a sweetie!
We were in recovery for 3 hours. It actually went really fast. She had a few cups of juice, a popsicle and we built a few more tents. She was rather annoyed by her IV, but she dealt with it.
Daddy stopped down at the gift shop and bought her this cute pony! She was so excited! We got home around noon and Jenna played all day as if nothing happened! She could not fall asleep at nap time. I think the drugs had a reverse effect on her!! ha! She had a great day and I am sure she is sleeping VERY good tonight! I hope the tubes will offer her at least some relief!We've had a great day --- but I am DEFINITELY ready for bed!! Nigh-Night!!


Glad everything went great Hayley! It is gut wrenching watching them haul them away. It took all I had not to run after him and rip him away from the nurse.
ReplyDeleteso glad she made it through it so good. i know the feeling about when they are taking them away. i had to hold bronson when he was a baby while they actually put him out! talk about gut wrenching!! nothing will ever be as bad as that was for me. i cried like a baby!!!!!! what great grandparents your kids have. we are also very blessed in the grandparent dept. hope jenna is feeling just as good today:)
ReplyDelete