Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pretty Little Easter Dress...

Growing up, my Grandma made Easter dresses every year for my sister and I and also my cousins. My sister and I have a lot of pictures of matching Easter dresses - CUTE! :) Wish I had one here to show you! I will work on getting one for a post closer to Easter.

This year I asked my Grandma if she would be willing to make an Easter dress for Jenna. How special would that be! Grandma gave me some $$ to pick out material and all of the accessories. I went to the fabric store the other day (with both kids - WHAT was I thinking) and came away with what will HOPEFULLY be a pretty dress.

I have to tell you, I felt completely lost in the fabric store! Where to even start! I do know the first step is to find a pattern.... While looking through the books, trying to pick one out, I hear "Mommy, I have to go potty!". Hmmm - ok. So we put the books back and we head to the restrooms. We get back to the pattern table and Bryce says "MOOOMMMMM, we've already been to this part!!!". Yes - but we hadn't actually found the perfect pattern yet!! Ok - done, we found one. Now we need to get it from the drawers that are all labeled by brand and number. Ok, McCall 2481.... of course there are none left!! So back to the table with the books. "MMMMMMOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM, we've ALREADY been here!". Yep. But now we're picking a new pattern. This time, the one I pick is easily found and we're on to the next step!


Now I will look for some pretty fabric. That part was easy -- the front of the store had some really cute fabs that looked like they would be perfect for Easter dresses. I picked them up and went back to the cutting table to take a number. Thankfully, the lady at the cutting table was extremely helpful and patient with me. First, we had to decide which dress within the pattern I wanted. Gosh - I don't know!! I finally decided on this one...

I decided I want the bulk of the dress the white fabric with pretty pink & silver flowers, and the little side panels (is that what they're called) in the skirt to be solid pink. The lady working thought that would be pretty (hopefully she meant that and wasn't just trying to get rid of me)!! She helped me figure out how much of each fabric I needed and showed me how to know what other accessories I needed to buy for Grandma to make the dress.

Next we searched the store for ribbon, thread, zippers, and bias folding tape?!? What the HECK is that! Well - the kids are getting anxious and the store is packed, so we skipped that and will go back if Grandma doesn't have it on hand! So here's everything I bought. I have no idea if I did this right or if I bought nearly everything she needs. My guess is there is at least 2-3 things I forgot or missed! :) But even if I did this completely wrong, I know my Grandma will still say I picked just the perfect stuff! That's just the wonderful kind of Grandma she is!!

Everything is in the mail for Grandma and she should be getting it within a day or so. I'm excited to see how this special dress turns out! I will keep you updated with more pictures once the dress is finished!

Thanks to Grandma P for taking the time to make a special little dress for Miss Jenna Pooh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

dream weaver stats
Vistaprint.com