Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Blind Spot Reminders

We have all heard the horrible, horrible stories on the news about children accidentally being backed over in their driveways. It's just a terrible thing to think about and I don't want to dwell on a sad and tragic topic, but I saw a video clip from the Early Show and I found the information to be so scary.

The video indicates that approximately 50 children are backed over every week in the United States! They showed how they can line up 60 (yes, SIXTY) kids behind this SUV and you cannot see them in the side mirrors or rear-view mirror! How scary is that!?


A mini-van has a blind spot of 29 feet behind it.
An SUV has a blind spot of 39 feet.
And a truck has a blind spot of 50 feet!
Yikes.

I know we are all very cautious of this type of thing. And a lot of us are doing a quick walk-around of the vehicle as we're buckling kids in. But a quote in the story reminds us that this can happen to anyone!!

Rashdorf -Nelson said, "This can happen to anyone. It has nothing to do with negligence. It has nothing to do with not being an attentive parent. It has everything to do with not being able to see behind you when you back up."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

dream weaver stats
Vistaprint.com